Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Tornado Tuesday

Tuesdays at our house are fast becoming the busiest day of the week. The girls have more than one dance class today, and we aren't all home until 8:00 p.m.

It's also my first day of kindergarten playground duty (oh, yeah) with a regular crazy day sandwiched in between. In the fall, Tuesdays are my soup day.

So, since I have to bolt out of the house in less than thirty minutes, and my hair is still wet, I thought I'd share a quick, simple, but incredibly healthy soup that my kids devour. I'm no Pioneer Woman, with step-by-step pics, but this soup is so easy, it doesn't need it.

Fabulous Enchilada Soup

I lb. ground turkey or vegetarian crumble
1 pack enchilada seasoning
1 large can diced tomatoes with garlic and olive oil or two regular cans
1 can corn (or cup and a half of fresh)
i can black beans, drained
2 tbsp olive oil
Cumin, salt, pepper to taste
1-2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Brown the turkey or vegetarian crumble in stock pan with oil. Add seasoning. Add corn, tomatoes, beans. Let simmer while you take out bowls, set the table, or whip up some corn bread. I like cumin, so when I salt and pepper to taste, I add extra cumin. Ladle into bowls, top with cheese.


16 comments:

Marmite Breath said...

Hot damn! That sounds really good (and more importantly, like something my family will think I am awesome for making).

I am hitting print! Thanks!

Mary Alice said...

Remember when Tuesdays wereour meal swap day? I gotta go cry a little now.

Anonymous said...

Girl, you know I love you for adding in the "vegetarian crumble". Thanks, this looks great.

BOSSY said...

You remind SNIFF SNIFF Bossy that she only Sob Sob has six more days of summer. Waaaaaaa.

Crystal D said...

yes... and even with veggie crumbles, that will be dinner tonight. thanks!

Amber said...

That sounds SO GOOD. And also, you really make me laugh. Thanks for writing about the things I'm often thinking. I'm off to read the archives!

crazymumma said...

And I am glad you left a comment so I could find you....

great idea, a soup dinner. Those nights you stumble in, overworked underpaid and everyone hungry and cranky.

My magic meal for those nights is Spaghetti Bolognese.

Jessica said...

Hey! You stole my famous chili recipe!!!! It is good stuff huh :)

I make it all the time and I don't even have a bunch of kids to feed!

S said...

That sounds awesome! And relatively quick and easy to make. My kind of recipe.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't even read your soup recipe because the thought of something hot on a yet another 110 degree day in the desert isn't appealing.

Fine, I'm full of it. I didn't read it because I like our current repertoire of hamburgers, hot dogs, hamburgers, hot dogs, dominos, hot dogs.

Please let us know the first time you have to break up a fight on playground duty. Especially if the fight's between parents and/or teachers!

Queen of the Mayhem said...

That soup sounds great! Kindergarten duty....UGH....bless your heart! You are the woman!

I teach fourth and there is not enough money in the world to get me to teach kindergarten! Go YOU!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

You are so open minded to include the Vegetarian Crumbles. This soup looks like it'll be on my short list of recipes soon!

painted maypole said...

mmm... that sounds really good.

Jennifer said...

Another "Hey, vegetarian crumbles as an option" appreciater here! (Is "appreciater" a word? Appreciator? Hmmm.)

Anyway: Mmm! Thanks!

Crystal D said...

*Update* - I fixed the soup for dinner tonight and it was so yummy. I only had HOT enchilada spice to use so the kids couldn't eat it. Too bad, now I have for lunch tomorrow too. ;)
So what are you cooking tomorrow?

Anonymous said...

Yum--and thank you. I need some more of these kind of recipes!