Friday, August 10, 2007

Squeezing the Last Juice Out of Summer

It was just yesterday that the kids were out of school and we were readying ourselves for the road trip to beat all road trips: four women and thirteen children to Mexico. Now it's a little over a week before my older three are back in school and we're about to leave for another road trip.

We're waking up at the crack of dawn and driving to Minnesota. Land of casseroles, sensible shoes, and lakes stocked with all the bass and crappy (or is that crappy bass?) you can catch. We're descending on cousins and caravaning to the family lake where we hope to perfect the art of avoiding mosquitoes while making the perfect s'mores. The last time we were there, the mosquitoes were so thick we all looked like pox victims, even with 100% DEET coating our skin. It's totally worth it.

I'll be snapping pictures, eating fish, and floating on a foam noodle in the lake with the kids. Bob is bringing his laptop, but I have the feeling it won't make it out of the car.

Next week is going to be a verrrry interesting week in the blogosphere, so instead of coming here, please check out the conversation at BlogRhet on race and blogging. This is an issue that has been coming to a head of steam in the past week or so, and I'm going to miss reading the debate. Do you think the blogosphere is colorless? Is there such a concept? Should there be? Are most mommy bloggers white and privileged, and the only target market advertisers are concerned with? Blogging is the new frontier; how will racial issues shape the face of the latest communication medium? It's been getting so much attention, that Motherhood Uncensored is going to do a show on this very issue. Go over there, too, and check out her air times and join in the conversation yourself!

Let me know if you've commented over there, or heard Motherhood Uncensored's show; I would love to know what I missed.

In the meantime, enjoy next week and I'll be back here on the 20th (unless I get motivated on the road).

We know we'll have a great time! Ya, sure, you betcha!

12 comments:

Nancy said...

Have a Won.Der.Ful time.

Be safe and slather the skin with anti-skeeter serum!

The Ferryman said...

Your summer has been juicy? Mine has been salty.

BOSSY said...

By Sensible Shoes are you referring to comfort or price?

Bananas said...

Have a great time... and BEWARE the sensible shoes! :)

insanemommy said...

My summer has been wet. As in my underwear are soaking due to extreme humidity! Enjoy your time on the lake.

Keeping It Real said...

Thanks for mentioning the race thing. I'm definitely interested in knowing how my blog will fare.

Anonymous said...

You really do live inthe car!

Fairly Odd Mother said...

Have a great time! Looking forward to the recap.

Anonymous said...

Squeeze as much as you can!! Have great time -- we just got through with six weeks at the lake.

Shauna Loves Chocolate said...

"squeezing the juice" - i love that!

Blog Owner said...

LOVE the sensible shoe comment, being from the land of Tevas myself :). Or was it Dr. Sholls???

Have a great trip!

BlondeBlogger said...

Hope you have a wonderful time!! I never gave thought to race and blogging but now that you mention it, the majority of bloggers I've come across have been white. I wonder why that is?