Thursday, August 02, 2007

Lemonade and Gratitude

We've been given a few lemons and I'm considering opening up a lemonade stand. Because I'm making lemonade! And remaining positive! Heh.

So the family from California that is was buying our home have lost their financing, due to an inability to sell their dental clinic. Which means our house is packed up and we have no buyers. Stunningly, we are all okay with this. We accepted their offer with very little earnest money because we're trusting people, and hey, we're not greedy. So, given the amount of money we've spent fixing the house up and paying for packing materials, storage units, etc., we're about even. And we get to continue to market the house and keep on keeping on.

Or. We may just keep the house and get a smaller place when we move (we're moving out of town, and we still don't know where. Bob's company has two venues in mind for him and we're waiting to see which one pops. Ambiguity? Awesome way to keep things lively). Which would mean we would be living in a very small home with the kids doubled up in bedrooms and a second home that sleeps over a dozen with ease. Anybody want a winter vacation rental in possibly one of the most beautiful places in the southwest, email me.

We're at the point where we really aren't too upset over it, probably because we made the decision to place it in God's hands long ago, and if we keep it on the market, we have the world's best realtor.

******************

Today we spoke with our family in Minnesota to make sure everyone is okay. I case you haven't been reading the news banners, a large bridge simply collapsed in Minneapolis yesterday during rush hour. Four people are known to be dead, and twenty more are missing. Bob's cousin and her kids crossed that very bridge yesterday at three in the afternoon. By six, it was in the river. We are so thankful everyone is okay, and yet unbearably sad for the families that are living a nightmare right about now.

We're still planning on traveling there next week, although our kids have made us promise no bridge crossing. That seems pretty fair to me.

10 comments:

Robin said...

I'm sorry to hear that the sale fell through, but the whole bridge collapse sure keeps it in perspective, doesn't it... What a tragedy.

Sophie's Mom said...

Selling a home right now is difficult. You have a great attitude about the whole thing! Maybe you should do a post to 'advertise' your home, maybe there's a buyer out there in blogland!

Jen said...

Sophie's mom - great idea!

S said...

Wow. Yes, I think Robin's exactly right.

Anonymous said...

You have such an amazing outlook on the house situation! I am sure it will all work out.

Be safe on your trip to Minnesota. I am so glad your family there is safe.

Jane, Pinks & Blues Girls

insanemommy said...

Damn does that suck big weenies! Crap. I'm glad to hear you are so optimistic about the current market and I would agree with you---it will happen.... Hang tight sister.

Mary Alice said...

Your Zen attitude humbles me Jen. I would be having myself a tantrum in the corner.

Nancy said...

I'm sorry your deal fell through. As I have said before, my house has been listed since March, but what can we do? Every one is in the same boat as far as selling houses.

Thankfully Bobs relatives are ok. Still, I'm sure it's scary for them to think and "what if" about the situation.

Jennifer said...

Sorry to hear about the deal falling through, but kudos for staying positive!

That's some scary stuff about the bridge.

Fairly Odd Mother said...

You have a great attitude about the house thing. I hope things go your way soon!