Friday, August 24, 2007

If Lovin' You is Wrong, I Don't Wanna Be Right. An Ode to My 1998 Ford Expedition

This is a tribute to someone very special. Big Red.

Big Red, you entered my life when I was hugely pregnant with my third child. Where others thought me rotund, scarily fertile, you? You embraced me in a way no one else could. You cupped me from behind, your soft, leathery embrace creating a sense of security I'd never felt before you came along.

No matter what the weather, no matter where we were, you were there to push us through, protecting me as we took our journey together. There were others before you. We both know this. But they were smaller than you in places where it really counts. You took me places the others couldn't, pushing us both to new heights. The others were bald and stout and unable to get me up to the altitude I needed for real thrills.

As the years passed, I knew other women who strayed. Other women who decided that they need an upgrade in their lives. You and I both know, Big Red, that you were the one for me. I remained loyal, even when my friends urged me to get rid of you. They said you were too needy, too high maintenance. That you needed to much to get you going, that you were unfashionably big with loose belts and a craggy exterior.

Who has the last laugh now, Big Red? That's right. You and me. Those friends of mine all upgraded to fancy, new loves. Sure, they're sleek and look great. But they can't enjoy life, since all their money has been spent on acquiring and keeping these new, younger companions. We're together out of true love.


This is part of a PBN Blog Blast for Friday. Join in! Go to PBN for details on how to play along and maybe even win some cool stuff from Ask Patty.
AskPatty is a fantastic website providing automotive advice for women. It was highlighted on Cool Mom Picks last fall, and the AskPatty staff has recently launched CarBlabber, a place for women to write about their cars - the good, bad, and ugly - and to learn what other women think of their own cars.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was so cute.

Anonymous said...

awesome. love it.

Anonymous said...

Just think how I feel. I'm in love with a minivan. I don't just love her, I'm IN love with her.

Gotta run. Time to go out and hug her goodnight :)

redmaryjanes said...

I so understand and applaud your faithfulness. I have a 2003 Yukon XL who I plan to be faithful to for many more years...until he dies. Coincidentally, he is also red.

Lisa said...

Wow. I'm envious. I've never experienced a love like that before. :-)

Unknown said...

Amen! There is something to be said for those who know the value of their love.

On a side note...Congrats to figuring out that it is cheaper to repair than make a payment and be upside down in a vehicle!!

Keeping It Real said...

I could do for an upgrade. My minivan's becoming quite the bitch.

insanemommy said...

Good g-d do you have that right. lol.... see it everyday, people in debt up to their eyeballs and sporting a 1200.00 mercededes payment. Is that nuts or what?! Love the post.

BlondeBlogger said...

LOL! My most memorable car was my first one and it's not in a good way. It was one of those station wagons with wood on the side. It was like dating a loser. :)

Anonymous said...

I had a tan Expedition! I left it for a new love, my Volvo station wagon. Now that we're getting Kid #4, my kids want me to "upgrade" to a minivan. Um, kids? That's not an upgrade. I love my "Little Lady" as we call her. Could never leave her on such superficial grounds.

Have I told you lately that I love you(r) bloggin'???

Her Grace said...

If I was going to take on a wife, Barb would be my only option. Nicki and Margie would drive me batshit insane.

Am I the only one who's tired of Bill?

Anonymous said...

Very sweet post.