Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Moms Whine Too

There are rare moments in parenting where I am allowed glimpses into the adults my kids will soon become (and I say soon only because I am old and I know that the time will whizz by regardless). For a brief shiny bit of time I am allowed to push back the curtain of adolescence and gaze into a future that holds a funny, sharp, neat person. Not that they aren't all of those things now - they are - but let's be honest. Junior high aged girls aren't exactly known for their consistency and all around likeability for a couple of years.

Yesterday I had a hard time getting back into the mom groove - compounded by my ever present peri-menopause PMS, a grouchy baby who decided it was best to shriek much of the day, and my desire to crawl into bed and nap for four hours, it wasn't a good day. In my attempt to alleviate some tension in the car on the drive home from school, I joked around with Chloe, who was sitting in the front seat. We quickly started an exchange that had me as Maddie and her as the annoying little sister. I could feel the tightness in my shoulders ease up just a little bit as I pretended to hit her shoulder and whine, "Chloe, stooop telling me what to do! You're not the boss of me!" I must say, my teenage whine is nearly perfected - and that unique inflection of the young is fun to execute in a mocking manner. I came to a red light and sat there, a smile playing on my face. Teasing my kids happens to be one of the best ways to brighten my mood.

As the light changed and I drove through the intersection, I heard a long, pained sigh from the backseat. It was Maddie.

"You kids are driving me crazy. You have no IDEA how much I have to put up with. What with your bickering, my job, your father....I'm going to need a glass of wine with dinner."

She was dead on - I couldn't stop laughing all the way home.

Hey Sunshine! The random number generator picked the number one - which is you - so congrats! You win the Real Simple sub! Shoot me an email!

13 comments:

Moments Of Mom said...

That is perfect.

Glad you got a little smiling done on a day when you need it!

Suburban Correspondent said...

Oooh, she got you! It's nice to see she still has a sense of humor. Mine lost hers a couple of years ago.

Biddy said...

i literally snorted

hahahahahaaaaa

Anonymous said...

Just the smile I needed.

painted maypole said...

at least you can laugh at yourself, too

Audubon Ron said...

That's funny. Got the wine thing down.

Anonymous said...

Isn't that just a mother's anthem!

Amanda said...

Don't you just love it when they actually listen? I just wish mine would listen to what I actually WANT her to hear!

Beck said...

HEE HEE HEE HEEE

Unknown said...

LOL - That's fantastic! Moments like that ROCK!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

We don't realize how well they know us!

Jennifer S said...

Oh, that is BRILLIANT. Love it. What a great moment.

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

OMG, I love it!