Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Global Warming Has Killed My Garden

I woke up this morning to drooping trees, a dying garden, and pots containing frozen flora and fauna. I am so demoralized....I live in one of the southern most states and it is snowing. In fact, it has been coming down in big, fat chicken feather flakes for the past two hours. My apple trees, just starting to bud, will likely not bear fruit again this year. Here's what they looked like an hour ago.

And here is what the BBQ corner of my courtyard looked like around the same time. In three days we're supposed to be roasting hotdogs and marshmallows with friends and family in honor of my son's birthday - it definitely feels like I should dust off the carols and whip up some hearty soup instead.

Sigh. Back to the drawing board, folks.

19 comments:

Bogart said...

Wow. That is aesthetically beautiful, but I am sure very depressing for the inner gardener.

Anonymous said...

What the heck!!!!

I am so sorry! I KNOW how awful that feels. I'm sure you are near tears. I would be!

Beth Cotell said...

Wow! That is depressing! Sending thoughts of sunshine your way...

Mary Alice said...

Ugh. I am sorry. All that hard work. That would be a beautiful picture if it was December. Wishing you happy warm sunshine and gentle night time rains.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

No snow here, but it is 100 degrees one day and 60 the next--I have lived here my whole life and have never experienced these weather swings.

I'm thinking Bush was wrong about climate change.

Suburban Correspondent said...

You must be joking.

Jessica @ Little Nesting Doll said...

Damn. And snow in May??? I thought that could only happen in New England.

Emily said...

Oooh. Sucks, doesn't it.

We were nearly 80 in CO yesterday. This morning we had the very same "chicken feather flakes" in our yard, as well, though not nearly as many of them.

Warm thoughts...warm thoughts...

Sass said...

Tell me it ain't so. I thought you were always bathed in sunlight?

Candy said...

In 3 days it will probably be beautiful, so don't fret yet. That kind of snow never lasts (famous last words?)

Anonymous said...

"I'm thinking Bush was wrong about climate change."
Jen's right....just a bit wrong!

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say, "brrrrrr."

Cocoa and toasted marshmallows for the party? Sledding? Snowball fights?

Rima said...

That just ain't right.

Anna Sawin said...

I have no words except I'M SORRY!

Beck said...

I will now invite you to come bask in the sunshiney warmth that is my backyard. Good golly.

Anonymous said...

That sucks! I have a great chicken chili recipe if you need something hearty and warm!

Magpie said...

What???

That's crazy.

I remember snow on Memorial Day once, but that was in upstate New York...

Fairly Odd Mother said...

That is CRAZY!! Totally awful. I'd be weeping over my basil plants I have potted on my front steps.

the dragonfly said...

Oh no!! I can't believe that!!

Hope there is sunshine soon...