Friday, May 09, 2008

Channeling Barbara Kingsolver

All I want for Mother's Day is for my family to get outside and weed. I will be working the weekend anyway, and I want to know that my spawn will be doing my bidding. This year, as I have done before, I have started a garden from seed in my office. Six weeks ago I sat two large trays of watered seeds on my window seat and said a small prayer, although I don't know why because that is the easy part.

The hard part is once they're in the ground. It's arid here, though we get all that snow and summer brings monsoons, but because we're floating 7,000 feet above sea level - growing things presents a problem. But I am optimistic - after all we have one of the few apple orchards around and they actually yield enough fruit for us and all of our friends. So I have taken stock of the apple blossoms, the Aspen leaves that have finally began to unfurl, the patch of green grass in our courtyard and I have declared this the year we see our garden to the end.

My dog had better not dig up the spinach. The prairie dogs had better not nibble my peas. My kids better remember to do my bidding and water and weed at my request. My husband better remember to pick up the organic fertilizer and I had better remain vigilant.

If I am picking pumpkins to carve this fall, I shall declare Mother's Day 2008 the best in history. How about you? What do you want for Mother's Day?

13 comments:

Memarie Lane said...

Every Mother's Day (and birthday and Valentine's Day) I expect to be queen for a day, and end up as the scullery maid. This year I'd settle for a donut.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

As always, a reprieve from bickering teens!

Anonymous said...

I bought myself the MomAgenda in my favorite color and even had it embossed with my name. I also bought myself a necklace, and will spend Sunday drinking wine with my husband, his sister and her husband - no kids. We're having breakfast at my favorite cafe. I couldn't have a better day if I'd planned it myself.

Oh wait, I did!

Anonymous said...

I want for my children to be old enough to do my bidding! That's not the case yet, so I just want a few hours to myself with only a glass of something containing alcohol to keep me company.

Happy early Mother's Day.:)

Suburban Correspondent said...

The day off. Meaning, I'm not in charge of breakfast, I'm not in charge of dressing children, I'm free to knit all day if I'd like, and I am definitely not in charge of anyone's dietary needs the entire day. Except mine, of course. Which will involve chocolate.

Magpie said...

I want a nap. That is all.

Good luck with your garden!

Jennifer S said...

A quiet day. Spent in pajamas, if I choose. No fighting between the kids.

Can't wait to see your garden progress!

The Cube Monkey said...

The same thing I ask for every year. To be left alone.
So it's my day to do absolutely nothing. The couch is mine along with the clicker and tv. My hubby usually makes something awesome on the grill.
This year I'm adding a karaoke nite tonight, in my attic with my best buddy. After shopping for a futon, we will pickle our brains on crown royal special reserve, eat crab rangoon and sing like a coupla chimps. =)

Audubon Ron said...

To answer you question, you'll have to come over and read my Mother's Day post.

Tootsie Farklepants said...

I want to feel appreciated. I don't want to hear that they don't like their dinner, or that the right shirt isn't clean, etc. I guess I just want them to be quiet!

Happy Mother's Day!

Daisy said...

Keep posting the garden progress! I haven't planted mine yet; there is still a possibility of frost up here in the Wisconsin Frozen Tundra.

Anonymous said...

The snails have eaten my asparagus!

Unknown said...

A day late, but I'm still riding the high of my best Mother's Day ever. The kids bickered, and I did some light housework, but at noon, I put a movie on for the kids and went upstairs to my room and read my book and napped and no one bothered me. Hubby made me a cake and bought dinner so I didn't have to make it.

THAT is all I wanted for Mother's Day. :)