Thursday, May 15, 2008

Birthdays, MRSA, and Mother Power

Few things feel worse than cancelling a child's birthday party. Last year Jacob got so sick and ran such a high fever that at the last minute I was forced to cancel his fifth birthday celebration. It was awful. The whole time I kept thinking, "I wish I could just be sick for you - take it away from you so you feel better and get to eat cake with your friends." What mother hasn't thought that? I think the desire to take on all the bad stuff for our kids is hardwired into us. This year, a particularly bad year for illness in our house, I watched nervously as yet another super virus swept through the schools.

When I had to keep Chloe home last week due to a fever, I got an ominous feeling as I looked at the calendar and saw how close Jacob's party was. He seemed fine, though, so fingers were crossed. We celebrate tomorrow and so far he seems healthy as a horse. Me, on the other hand...I woke up this morning for the first time all week and felt good. My fever broke sometime early this morning, and although I woke drenched in sweat and still thick-headed, I felt like a millions bucks - because since Sunday night I have been sick as a dog. I like to think that somebody up there heard me and said, "You betcha. We can make you as sick as you want..."

Fine. Just as long as he gets his party. I feel well enough today that 800 mgs of ibuprofen and pot of coffee are all I need to get up and get things ready.

Of course, I also can't help but wonder if I've picked any of this up at the hospital. The thing I love most about the new job is that I get to be all over the hospital. I get to interact with patients on just about every floor (except Behavioral Health - thank God, because I am so done with my social work days). Last weekend I needed to talk to a patient who was confined because she has MRSA. You know MRSA, right? That terrible super-virus that kids are getting in locker rooms and half their arm or leg or what have you gets eaten away? Well, this young woman had it. So I gowned up, masked up, put on the gloves and held my breath as I went into her room. After I left, I was outside of her door and I Purelled every surface of my body that was exposed. I caught a nurse looking at me with a funny look as I slipped off my heels and Purelled my feet.

Hey, I'm not taking any chances. Embarrassment or MRSA? Easy choice.

I wonder if they will notice that this weekend I will be covered in a thin sheeting of saran wrap....

17 comments:

Memarie Lane said...

Max will be turning 5 in about a week, and I just got finished telling my husband that we won't be able to celebrate it for another 2 months at least the way our finances are. We're just lucky Max isn't old enough to know the difference yet.

Joanie said...

Everything crossable is crossed so that Jacob gets his party! And I love the new verb "purelled."

Life As I Know It said...

Glad you're feeling better. I get freaked out at hospitals.

Sarahviz said...

I sympathize. We have a virus running through our Trenches right now. Exactly one week before we leave for NY for the long holiday weekend...

Anonymous said...

I suspect you'll get lots of things..and then have an amazing resistance to everything.

Have a lovely party.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

After spending 23 years in a pharmacy, I'm just about the healthiest person around. I'm sure it's the resistance--you wouldn't believe the number of people that think it's appropriate to carry their prescription their mouths. Or, alternately, allow their sick children to drool on them.

I hope the party comes off well.

Jennifer S said...

I'm terrified of MRSA.

Sending good thoughts that the party goes on as planned!

Putting the FUN in DysFUNctional said...

We have patients here with MRSA all the time. It used to freak me out but I try not to worry much any more.
I hope all the germies leave you all alone!

Beth Cotell said...

Purelling your feet? I don't blame you! Why take chances!

SHW said...

I feel your pain! Hope you feel better soon! And the party will be great, I'm sure!

Magpie said...

I hope the weekend is splendid!

painted maypole said...

saran wrap makes you sweat like crazy. i speak from experience.

(and before you get any kinky ideas, I went as "Static" to a costume party. that costume didn't last very long.)

Angie said...

We've had to "postpone" birthday parties, too. Not easy to do, but sometimes necessary. I was a social worker before kids, now I'm a kindergarten teacher. How crazy is that? Nice blog...ang

Tootsie Farklepants said...

We had to cancel my youngest sons birthday party last year because he had pink eye. It does suck to do that.

Good call on the seran wrap.

Beck said...

We had to cancel the Girl's sixth birthday party because her sister decided to come three weeks early, a terrible injustice that she STILL BRINGS UP.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and I have hardly had a chance to read the most recent post:-) Will definitely be back soon. Intrigued when I read (I am sooo done with my social work days.) Take care and feel better soon.

Jenn said...

Hey love the blog - MRSA is a scary bacteria - thank goodness it isn't airborne so the gown and purell should have done the trick!