Thursday, June 19, 2008

Business in the Front and Party in the Back

A few days ago I made last minute hotel reservations with a genial young man on the hotels.com hotline. I requested a single room for four days in San Diego, starting today.

"Will you be needing a king or two queens?" he asked, not entirely innocently. He had been chatty throughout the entire process and I found it amusing to be flirting on the telephone with an agent named Brandon while holding tube of diaper rash ointment in one hand and a handful of cotton underwear from the laundry pile in the other.

"Oh, two queens. My girlfriend and I are traveling together."

"Oh yeah? Party time or work time?"

"Brandon, it will definitely be a party to remember. We're headed to the National PTA Convention. I get to meet Maya Angelou and Dr. Sanjay Gupta! [hot doctor who writes for Newsweek and is on tv all the time] Whoo hoo!"

He was all business after that. But I did make him laugh.

PTA - Partying T & A? Not quite. But I hope I get a picture with Dr. Gupta.

17 comments:

Barb McMahon said...

Oh thank goodness you're back!

After your post from last Thursday, I was afraid Something Had Happened...

BlondeMomBlog (Jamie) said...

Have fun party mama!

You need to post that photo of you with Dr. Gupta.

the dragonfly said...

Fun times. :)

Beck said...

Whoo! There ain't no party like a PTA party.

flutter said...

beck just made me snort!

Rima said...

Gupta AND Angelou in one fell swoop? You lucky woman!

standing still said...

Nothing says "good ole drunk fest" like a bunch of parents talkin' education. Pass the tequila shooters.

Slick said...

I'm kind of a goofball but I have no idea what PTA stands for!

andi said...

Whoo hoo! Have fun!

Circus Kelli said...

Have a great time!

Don Mills Diva said...

Oh Brandon - he clearly has no idea how to really party!

Jennifer H said...

Next on Bravo: The Cougars of the PTA

(surely the reality show lineup could handle one more?)

Anna said...

Party
Through
All

Hope you have a great trip!

carrie said...

Have fun. I saw Maya Angelou speak a few years ago and have never been the same since - you are one lucky girl! :)

painted maypole said...

maya angelou! awesome!

and somehow I think you'll manage to get a little partying in on the side. ;)

Kristi said...

I just discovered Dr. Sanjay and your blog and must say I'm excited about both!

Bogart in P Towne said...

I am sure it is nice to know that you still "Got It"