Thursday, November 06, 2008

Things That Cause me to Sweat EVERYWHERE

This morning I had a conference call with my three New York editors over at the Nickelodeon site as to what, exactly, I'll be doing for them over the next three weeks.

Talking with younger, hip women who make casual references to The Hills is intimidating enough.

Talking to them while trying to take notes - the sweats start to take over.

Talking to them while taking notes, trying to follow all three of their conversations, and their three visions for what I'll be doing ("This is a pilot project. So we want you to do X but not really do X - and make it lively and cool and make things up but be authentic and real, k?") is enough to cause me to sweat in very bad places.

Talking to them, understanding them, taking notes, trying not to sound like a total doofus and simultaneously trying to silently entertain my two year-old - I'm starting to reek.

Juggling all of the above then trying to swiftly evade my now shrieking two-year old by sprinting up the stairs with notes in hand and trying not to sound like a panting doofus - I may as well call it a day and start over.

People wonder why I am not always readily available by phone, and until you have crouched in a corner of a locked bathroom with a phone in one ear and your finger in your other while trying to write with your feet while your child pounds on the door - you won't get it.

Never let them see you sweat. Or hear you drop the telephone into a toilet.

8 comments:

Magpie said...

Why oh why are the children so good and well-behaved UNTIL you get on the phone?

Rima said...

You are brave! I would have totally parked him in front of Yo Gabba Gabba.

Nancy said...

LOL, I've been in that bathroom before.

You'll do fine ... just no video conference calls =)

painted maypole said...

he he he

Parent Club said...

AMEN!

Beth Cotell said...

This post had me chuckling. But, please don't be intimidated by anyone that watches The Hills!

Sass said...

Nooo, I hope you didn't really drop the phone down the toilet??

Very funny - I've taken phone calls like that.

insanemommy said...

I've been caught in the dead of winter on the phone trying to escape the screams from inside. Oh, I get it.....welcome back friend.